There is a lot that goes into planning a funeral or memorial service, but making those arrangements beforehand gives you time to consider all of your options. Preparation also makes sure that you are covering all of the necessary details. The following checklist will help you to make sure you have thought of most everything when you begin creating your personalized plan.
Information you will need to assemble:
- We use this information to complete the death certificate. This includes your father’s name, your mother’s maiden name, your level of education, your social security number, occupation and employer as well as your birthdate and place of birth.
- Obituaries are as unique as the people they describe. They usually include a list of the family, biographical information about the person, service information including dates and times of the services. It can also make requests for flowers or donations in your loved one’s memory. Our staff will help you craft exactly what you want to say.
- This includes fraternal, service, or union membership, along with any special recognitions you might have. You might also consider churches, clubs or civic organization.
- If you are a veteran, you will also need to include:
- Discharge Papers or DD214
- Branch rank
- Date of enlistment
- Date of discharge
- Name(s) of war/conflict(s) toured
- Serial number
Ways in which you can plan ahead:
- Gather personal information for your obituary
- Choose a charity to direct donations to, if desired
- Choose a funeral home
- Make note of any special instructions you desire for your services and final disposition
About the Service
- Choose burial or cremation
- Select a casket or cremation container
- Choose the location and type of service
- Decide whether you would like to have a viewing or visitation
- Choose a floral arrangement
- Select photographs and memorabilia you would like to display
- Consider any customs, traditions, or religious rites that are important to you and your family
- Choose the clothing you would like to be dressed in
- Select music and hymns
- Select a style for your stationery and memorial register book
- Brainstorm any additional ways you would like to personalize the services or pay tribute to your accomplishments, hobbies, personality, and life story.
- Choose a clergy member or officiator to preside over the service
- Select any musicians whose talents you would like to employ
- Select pallbearers
- Choose friends or family members to perform the eulogy, read scripture, or prepare a speech
- Choose a cemetery
- Select a burial or cremation plot, or a mausoleum, if appropriate
- Decide between above- and below-ground burial
- Select a memorial or grave marker and inscription
The purpose of pre-planning is to give you all the options, so that you can make the choices that are right for you. Pre-planning is an important step in protecting your loved ones emotionally and financially. Contact Mowell Funeral Home to let one of our qualified staff assist you.
Online Pre-Planning Form